Social Media is the term we use to describe how we communicate to each other through various internet channels. Social Media allows two-way communication at any time on our terms. Social media has continued to evolve and offer consumers around the globe new and rich ways to engage with others, with communities, events and brands. Traditional marketing channels only allow one-way communication at predetermined times by the sending without ever connecting directly connecting with the receiver. Social media has now become an integral part of how we live and do business. The question is, “do you have a social media plan” of action for your organization? Overall, 42% of online adults use two or more of these social networks, while 36% use only one (the remaining 22% did not use any of the five specific sites we asked about). Among those who only use one major social networking platform, 84% say that Facebook is the single site that they frequent. However, other “single platform” social networking site users have adopted a site other than Facebook as their platform of choice. Among those who use just one social networking site, 8% use LinkedIn, 4% use Pinterest, and 2% each say that Instagram or Twitter is their sole social networking site.
Pew Research Statistics
- Pinterest (21%) is now more popular than Twitter (18%) among Internet users.
- Women are four times more likely to be Pinterest users than men.
- Facebook is ageing. 45% of Internet users aged 65+ use Facebook.
- Pinterest attracts older people. Twitter and Instagram are still youth dominated networks, but 23% of Internet users aged 50+ use Pinterest.
- Contrary to popular belief, most people aren’t using multiple social networks. Over 50% of Internet users either don’t use any social networks, or use just one (i.e. Facebook).
- Facebook and Instagram users are the most engaged. Around 60% of their users sign in every day (compared to 46% of Twitter users)
Almost all social networkers use Facebook. In fact, over 80% of ‘other’ social network users also use Facebook.
- Instagrammers also use Twitter. There is a 50% crossover between the networks.
- Pinterest and LinkedIn are stand-alone networks. There is much less crossover usage with other networks (except Facebook).
- Pinterest and LinkedIn users are wealthier than the other networks with a high percentage earning over $75000 PA.